Saturday, October 8, 2011

Fall Break

Okaaaay. Grad school applications are stressing me out a little, so I've given up for now and am updating the blog to de-stress. I guess what is stressful about them is mostly that there are SO many little details and separate documents to fill in, upload, etcetera, and I'll spend a long time on it, and then look back and see I accomplished hardly anything. Just navigating the websites simultaneously is hard enough, and I keep double checking and cross checking the requirements out of paranoia. And trying to figure out a strategy for requesting audition dates is a nightmare. And I don't even know if my list is finalized yet. But the progress I made in the last hour has been good - I ordered transcripts sent to 3 schools and one to myself because UT requires it be scanned and uploaded as a pdf. What a pain. Why can't I just send you my transcript like every other school? Argh. And I have my rep list solid (as in the list of things I will be playing for the auditions). And I have 2 possible audition schedules that will allow me to get in all the auditions and not miss time from the London exchange program.

But enough about that. I'll feel better about myself if I reflect on what I've accomplished this fall break so far. I'll bold the bits that make me feel that I've been super productive. I've put in 3 hours documenting and spreadsheeting for the China tour. Went to the symphony Thursday night. Acquired 9 books for Ploger (4 from music library, 4 from annex, 1
from biomed) and printed an electronically delivered article. Met with Dr. Rose. Went hiking with Shelby in Percy Warner Park. Practiced some visualization and score reading for musicianship. Made a few reeds (none of them looking too promising however...) and practiced a bit. Reground three of my knives (they only needed an eensy bit of regrinding, so it didn't take very long), and they are sooooooo sharp now!!! Wrote a lot of emails have to do with China and other business, stupid little emails grrr. Booked my flights for my trip to Michigan for a lesson/tour in late November and for Thanksgiving. Made a pitcher of iced tea. Watched Jane Eyre with Valerie and Shelby. Cleaned my room. More impressively, cleaned the reed room. I CLEANED THE REED ROOM. I should post pictures later. Did my reading for Phenomenology. Picked up dresses my mom sent me (same dress, two sizes to try) from the post office, tried them on, and sent back the the one that was too big.

So I've done a little bit of work on a lot of things. I guess that does make me feel better, to see that I am balancing out all this work in a healthy manner.

I'm uploading some photos of yesterday's hike. Computer is slow. Also why did I take five million photos of the deers?























Also, on Friday, I had a really fantastic lesson with Professor Dikeman, the new flute professor. Did I mention that I had a lesson earlier with Professor Jackson, the new clarinet instructor, as well? I don't remember. But both lessons were such great experiences. I'm trying to
play for as many great musicians as I can in preparation for my grad school auditions. Ok, I feel like this post is dragging on. I'm rambling, but at least after I post this, I can cross off "update blog" off my to-do list!

Here are some more pics from hiking:

No comments:

Post a Comment